Thursday, February 13, 2014

Mountain High Tea



  I guess it is now a traditon - every year to celebrate our birthdays Elizabeth and I go somewhere special for "HIGH TEA". This year she chose The Dusty Rose Tea Room in Georgetown Colorado - an old mining town way up in the mountains. And what a charming tea room it is: housed in a mountain home built in 1875 and providing a complete Victorian High Tea experience.... you are first asked to choose a hat to wear to make you feel in the era [unfortunately my dress is not really of the same era!] and then you choose what ever tea cup "speaks" to you.

Choosing a cup is not as easy as it sounds because there are so many fun patterns to choose from. The tea room is filled with cups, saucers, teapots, doilies etc.... just like any Victorian Tea Room would have been.










After you choose a cup of course you choose a tea from an elaborate selection. I chose a Mountain Berry Black Tea that was just delicious and appropriate because we were in the
mountains after all.
                                     

But ok, my favorite part of "High Tea" is not really the tea.... it's the FOOD! This food was really delicious. We started with a potato soup, then meat pastries, cucumber sandwiches [my favorite], little savory tarts and deviled eggs. Then we progressed to the sweet course: "historic" walnut cookies baked in honor of the chef at the old Hotel de Paris in Georgetown and other treats. The most delicious item was a small chocolate pecan tart or maybe the orange scone with clotted cream - I guess I'll have to go back to decide for sure!               
                While we finished our High Tea the owner, Jeannette Peterson, regaled us with stories of local lore and history. Then we were done with our Mountain High Tea and it was time to go home...


           So, we no longer feel Victorian but hey - I told you I was in the MOUNTAINS, right??


No comments:

Post a Comment

I Welcome Your Comments