Monday, February 11, 2013

Road Trip

                                                      

OK, when I say "road trip" I do not mean a family vacation with five people crammed into a station wagon. I mean that feeling of freedom you got when you left home in your first car or the relaxed joy of bare feet up on the dash while sipping a bottle of warm coke and watching the world go by with the one you love beside you. That's a Road Trip! As professional innsitters,  Kirk and I take more road trips than most people - last year we logged over 20,000 miles - and we love it. But there are key tips to a successful Road Trip and I will share them with you.
 
                                                

First off - it is not about the destination, it is about the journey - DUH! Now of course there are times when we are in a hurry and have to stick to the freeways but as much as possible we pick the blue highways or smaller roads [as long as they are paved]. We have been to the Catfish Festival in Huntington Oregon where I got to hold a 40 pound catfish and we have been to the Mountain Home Rodeo where I got to sit next to Miss Rodeo Idaho. Now those are things you just stumble on to if you are off the main roads. Who knows what you will find.

The two key ingredients to a successful Road Trip are music and food. We have our IPOD filled with road trip play lists - mellow for early morning or late evening, rocking for mid afternoon when you need a pick-me-up and then current hits when you want variety.

As far as food goes, I have one word for you: PIC-NIC. Even in really cold weather we try to have at least one pic-nic each day. It gets you out of the car and you can enjoy the scenery of wherever you have found yourself. Doesn't have to be fancy but pack that cooler with cheese and crackers and enjoy the countryside.
Last but not least a Road Trip is about companionship and enjoyment.
Kirk and I have enjoyed road trips together for over 35 years and we have a tradition of kissing each other when we cross a state or country line. Some days going to our next job, that's THREE kisses in one day!
 
                              
 
So get out there, hop in your car, crank up the tunes and HIT THE ROAD!
 
And tell me what your favorite drive is.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Welcome Your Comments